Happy Friday! As the week winds down, take a short break to check out our Friday Finds, featuring some awesome reads, an engaging online challenge, and happenings around Philly:
1) She’s young but already has some serious entrepreneurial skills. Read about this super smart Girl Scout’s strategy to sell all of her cookies in just 45 minutes.
2) It’s the first ever Philly Cider Week! There are lots of great deals and celebrations still happening through Halloween, so go grab an after-work cider – you’ve earned it 🙂
3) In two short weeks, it will be time to make your voice heard and vote! Here is a quick guide to the midterms in Philly, and here are some of the weirdest, most uniquely Philly polling places you could wind up at.
4) We found this cool tool to help you create your next word cloud. Just enter the text, choose your shapes, fonts, and colors and you’re all set!
5) Urban Ministries of Durham is an incredible organization dedicated to ending homelessness and fighting poverty by offering food, shelter, and a future to neighbors in need. They created this challenge to see if you can make it through a month on a limited budget, finite money-making opportunities, and a ton of responsibility. Play to see if you’d make it (and consider donating to help UMD continue their fight against poverty).
6) Last week, Philly lost a major member of the creative community. Eliu Nazario, known as Karaz, passed away, and Billy Penn put together this awesome piece on his life and the legend he leaves behind.
7) If you have the time, read this piece on “Designing Experience to Improve Mental Health”. The number of useless, even potentially harmful mental health apps available is shocking, creating the opportunity for UX designers to collaborate with the mental health advocacy community to design something truly helpful.
8) Read about how Adobe Type Senior Manager Dan Rhatigan’s love for type transformed into a decades-long typography tattoo project!